One of the functions of the Center for Telemedicine and Telehealth is
to investigate this new method of delivering health care.
This research often compares the effectiveness of telemedicine
to traditional health care delivery.
The publications listed on this page include research
published since 2007. If you are interested in research findings
published other times, please see either our
archives from 2002 to 2007, or our
archives prior to 2002.
- Grady B., Myers K.M., Nelson E.L., Belz N., Bennett L., Carnahan L.,
Decker V.B., Holden D., Perry G., Rosenthal L., Rowe N., Spaulding R.,
Turvey C.L., White R., & Voyles D.. (2011). Evidence-based practice
for telemental health. Telemed J E Health. 17(2):131-48.
- Nelson, E., Bui, T., & Sharp, S. (2011). Telemental health
competencies: Training examples from a youth depression telemedicine
clinic, Technology Innovations for Behavioral Education
(Book chapter), 41-48, Springer, New York.
- Nelson, E., Miller, EA, & Larson, KL. (2010). Reliability Associated
with the Roter Interaction Analysis System (RIAS) Adapted for the
Telemedicine Context. Patient Education and Counseling. 78(1):72-8.
- Nelson, E., & Bui, T. (2010). Rural telepsychology services
for children and adolescents. Journal of Clinical Psychology: In
- Nelson, E. Telepsychology update. Invited speaker for Telemedicine
Learning Through an Interactive Network in California (T-LINC) national
webinar, April 2010.
- Nelson, E. Medication management in rural telemedicine clinics.
Presentation at National Rural Health Association, Medication Use in
Rural America Conference. Kansas City (Kan), June 2010.
- Nelson, E. Telemental health overview. Invited speaker for
Pacific Islands Chapter ATA, regional webinar, July 2010.
- Rojjanasrirat, W., Wambach, K., Nelson, E., & Kung, T.
Expanding Support for Breastfeeding Mothers Using In-Home Telehealth
Technology. Presentation at Evidence-Based Practice Conference,
San Antonio, July 2010.
- Nelson, E. (Workshop Leader). Telemedicine basics for mental health
applications, Presentation at American Psychological Association,
San Diego, August 2010.
- Nelson, E., & Ellington, E. Depression Update. Presentation
at the Kansas Association for the Medically Underserved (KAMU) conference,
- Rojjanasrirat, W., Wambach, K., & Nelson, E. Telehealth services
to support breastfeeding mothers. Presentation at KU Medical Center
Faculty Research Day, Kansas City (Kan), November 2010.
- Nelson, E., Warren, M.B., & Cook, D. (e-poster). Area Health
Education Centers as Rural Research Liaisons. Presentation at
KU Medical Center Faculty Research Day, Kansas City (Kan), November 2010.
- Nelson, E. Academic perspective on telemental health.
Presentation at American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry,
New York, November 2010.
- Spaulding, R., Cain, S., & Sonnenschein, K. (2011). Urban
Telepsychiatry: Uncommon Service for a Common Need. Child and
Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America, 20(1), 29-39.
- Spaulding, R., Belz, N., DeLurgio, S., & Williams, A.R. (2010).
Cost Savings of Telemedicine Utilization for Child Psychiatry in a
Rural Kansas Community. Telemedicine and e-Health,
- Cohen, Z., Ferguson, S., Krupinski, E., Puskin, D., & Spaulding,
R.J. (2010). Implementation and Evaluation of Telehealth Tools
and Technologies. Telemedicine and e-Health,16(1), 96-102.
- Spaulding, R.J., Nelson, E. L., & Patch, G. (2010). Kansas
School-based Telehealth Goals and Outcomes. Telemedicine and
e-Health Journal, 16 (Suppl 1), S-64.
- Spaulding, R.J., Alloway, G., & Coffman, M. (2010). Cost-benefit
of a Kansas Home Telehealth Pilot Project. Telemedicine and
e-Health Journal, 16 (Suppl 1), S-32.
- Spaulding, R.J., He, J., & Alloway, G. Cost-benefit of
Long-term Home Telehealth Monitoring in Kansas. Presentation
at the TeleMed & eHealth 2010: Evidence in action Annual Conference.
December 13, 2010. Royal Society of Medicine, London, UK.
- Spaulding, R.J. Extending Kansas Telemedicine Applications
in Africa. Invited video presentation at the 2010 Africa Telehealth
Conference, October 23-25, 2010, Cairo, Egypt.
- Davis, K.C., Spaulding, R.J., & Cook, D. (2009).
Connecting High School Science Students with Medical
Student Mentors, Telemedicine and e-Health,
15(Suppl 1), S106.
Nelson, E. Bridging the Gap: Telemental health
in Kansas. Kansas Association for the Medically
Underserved (KAMU) membership webinar,
Nelson, E. (Panel Leader). Telemedicine applications
in pediatric psychology. Pediatric Psychology Conference,
Kansas City (Kan), April 2009.
Nelson, E. Telemedicine and mental health for
legislators. Midwest Women in Government Conference,
Chicago, June 2009.
Nelson, E. Telemedicine and psychology careers.
American Psychological Association, Invited presentation
by Rural Health committee, August 2009.
Nelson, E. Telemedicine basics: Tutorial for pediatrics.
Invited speaker, ATA Pediatrics Conference, September 2009.
- Nelson, E.-L., Cain, S., & Khanna, P. (2009). Diagnostic Efficacy of
Child Telepsychiatry Services for a School Population,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 15(Suppl 1), S71-72.
- Nelson, E.-L., & Patch, G. (2009). Evolution of
Reimbursement Policy in Telemental Health Clinics,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 15(Suppl 1), S-75.
- Nelson, E.-L., Sharma, M., & Bui, T. (2009). Survey of
State Regulatory Practices for Telemedicine and Psychology,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 15(Suppl 1), S-48.
- Patch, G., Richter, K., Spaulding, R.J., Casey, G., & Cupertino, A.P. (2009).
Group Tobacco Cessation Using Telemedicine Technology,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 15(Suppl 1), S100-101.
- Spaulding, R.J. Telehealth Program Evaluation. Presentation
at the National Rural Health Association annual conference, May 2009,
- Spaulding, R.J. HITECH in Kansas: The Stimulus Package and
Kansas Healthcare. Invited keynote presentation at the Kansas
Health Information Management Systems Society (KSHIMSS) 2009 Spring
Conference, May 2009, Salina (Kan).
- Spaulding, R.J. Implementation and Evaluation of Telehealth
Tools and Technologies. Presentation at the National Institutes
of Health, National Center for Research Resources, Future of Telehealth:
Essential Tools and Technologies for Clinical Research and Care,
June 2009, Bethesda, Md.
- Spaulding, R.J. TeleKidcare and Medicaid Success in Kansas.
Panel Presentation at the American Telemedicine Association Mid-Year
Meeting, 4th Annual Pediatric Telehealth Colloquium, September 2009,
Palm Springs, Calif.
- Timmerberg, B.D., Wurst, J., Patterson, J., Spaulding, R.J., &
Belz, N.E., (2009). Feasibility of using videoconferencing to provide
diabetes education: a pilot study. Journal of Telemedicine and
Telecare, 15(2), 95-97.
- Belz, N., Speer, G., & Spaulding, R. J. (2008). Innovative
Telemedicine Applications: The Interdisciplinary ALS Clinics,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 14(Suppl 1), 78.
Bui, T. & Nelson, E. TeleHelp: A School-Based Technology
Approach to Youth Depression. Kansas Conference in Clinical
Child Psychology, Lawrence (Kan), October 2008.
- Davis, K.C., Spaulding, R.J., & Cook, D. (2008).
Linking Public Education and Healthcare with a Telehealth Program,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 14(Suppl 1), 200.
- Davis, K.C., Spaulding, R.J., & Cook, D. (2008). Teaching
Teachers: Closing the Gap Between HealthCare and Education,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 14(Suppl 1), 90.
- Nelson, E.-L. (2008). Evolution of a School-Based Telemedicine Program,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 14(Suppl 1), 50.
Nelson, E. Telemental health. Greater Kansas City
Psychological Association, Lenexa (Kan), April 2008.
Nelson, E. Telemental health ethics. Invited speaker
at ATA Telemental Health Preconference, Seattle, April 2008.
Nelson, E. Bridging the Gap in Rural Communities: Accessing
Behavioral Health Services through Telehealth. Rural Portal:
Healthy Children and Families, Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Services Administration (SAMSHA), Webinar, May 2008.
Nelson, E., Drude, K., & Barnard, M. Telemedicine and
Ethics Across Psychology Policy, Clinical, and Research.
Symposium at American Psychological Association Conference,
Boston, August 2008.
Nelson, E. Child telemental health. Invited Speaker,
American Telemedicine Association Pediatric Conference,
Tampa (Fla), September, 2008.
Nelson, E. Privacy and Confidentiality in Telehealth --
Professional ethical requirements, HIPAA, and related state
requirements. Invited speaker for Center for Telemedicine
Law (CTeL) National Webinar, October 2008.
Nelson, E. & Patch, G. Training and Ongoing Support
for Telemedicine Nurse Presenters. Professional Nursing
Education and Development, Kansas City (Kan), October 2008.
Nelson, E. & Bui, T. TeleHelp. Association for
Behavioral and Cognitive Therapy Conference,
Orlando (Fla), November 2008.
- Nelson, E.-L., Ellerbeck, K., & Davis, K. C. (2008). Team-Based Approaches
in Pediatric Telemental Health, Telemedicine and e-Health, 14(Suppl 1), 91.
- Sylvia, E., Koesten, J., Kelly, P., & Nelson, E. (2008).
Exploring Depression in Frontier Communities. Journal
of a Rural Community Psychology, 11(1). Access online,
- Spaulding, A.O., Doolittle, G.C., Spaulding, R.J., & Williams, A.R. (2008).
Measuring Quality of Life in Oncology Patients in Rural Kansas,
Telemedicine and e-Health, 14(Suppl 1), 111.
- Spaulding, R.J., Davis, K.C., & Patterson, J.D. (2008).
A comparison of telehealth and face-to-face presentation for school
professionals supporting students with chronic illness. Journal
of Telemedicine and Telecare, 14: 211-214
- Spaulding, R.J., & Nelson, E.-L. (2008). Cost Considerations
for Telemental Health Services, Telemedicine and e-Health,
14(Suppl 1), 30.
- Spaulding, R.J., & Timmerberg, B. (2008). Effects of Improved
Reimbursement on Telehealth Activity, Telemedicine and e-Health,
14(Suppl 1), 76.
- White, R., Grady, B., Cuyler, R.N., & Spaulding, R.J. (2008).
Telemental Health Budgeting: Nuts and Bolts for Planning and Proposals,
Telemedicine and e-Health, Volume 14(Suppl 1), 32.
- Whitten, P., Holtz, B.E., Belz, N., Collins, B., Young, R., &
Davis, S. (2008). A State of the States' Assessment of Telehealth
for Kansas, Michigan and Indiana, Telemedicine and e-Health,
14(Suppl 1), 87.
Please also see our publications between 2002
and 2007, and those prior to 2002.
If you have questions regarding our research activities, please contact:
Director, KU Center for Telemedicine & Telehealth