|Positions in Counseling Centers|
University of Pittsburgh
University Counseling Center
The University of Pittsburgh Counseling Center is recruiting for two, twelve-month, full-time Post-Doctoral Resident positions for 2013-2014. The position is designed to provide advanced training and clinical experience providing culturally-sensitive clinical services to university students experiencing a range of mental health concerns and developmental issues. The aims of the approximately 1800-hour Fellowship are to support and prepare entry-level clinicians for seeking licensure and moving into professional practice positions within clinical settings, particularly university counseling centers. The UCC is a multi-disciplinary unit that is accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services. In addition to the Post-Doctoral Residents, the UCC includes an APA-accredited Doctoral Internship and a practicum training program.
The Post-Doctoral Residency is a clinically intensive training experience devoted to delivery of counseling center services. Residents receive training and are supervised in providing the following services: initial triage assessment; intake assessment; individual counseling (primarily brief and time-limited, with some opportunities for longer-term work); group counseling (e.g., structured or semi-structured workshops and/or process groups); couples’ counseling; crisis intervention and daytime emergency services; after-hours, on-call emergency coverage; third-party consultation (faculty, staff, parents, & students); outreach; and supervision of practicum students. Opportunities may be available to conduct specialized clinical screening assessments of alcohol and drug use/misuse or other behavioral concerns.
In addition, Residents may elect to receive specialized training experience in an area of concentration. Example concentration areas and possible projects include (but are not limited to):
• Supervision. Residents directly supervise practicum students through both individual and group formats and assist senior staff in facilitating the supervision of supervision training seminar with pre-doctoral interns.
• Group Counseling. Residents lead and co-lead particular types of groups (e.g., structured or semi-structured groups or workshops focused upon addressing particular concerns, problems, or issues; general interpersonal process groups; groups adhering to a particular theoretical approach; etc.) and may assist senior staff in facilitating the group supervision of group counseling seminar with pre-doctoral interns.
• Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction & Wellness Services. Residents assist with development, oversight, and implementation of mindfulness-based stress-reduction programs provided within the UCC’s Stress Free Zone; assist with training, supervision and oversight of the Stress Free Zone peer educator program; assist UCC staff in development and implementation of mindfulness-based counseling and outreach services; and may participate in University’s Healthy U initiative (partnership between Student Health Service and UCC).
The Post-Doc meets all requirements for licensure within the State of Pennsylvania, including two hours weekly of scheduled individual supervision (at least one of which is provided by a licensed psychologist). Residents attend weekly administrative and case consultation meetings with the entire multi-disciplinary UCC staff. Fellows who elect to complete an optional area of concentration receive additional supervision, mentoring, and learning support to facilitate their specialized training.
- Completed doctoral internship, preferably within an APA-accredited university counseling center.
- Strong generalist skills; knowledge and experience in brief individual and group counseling/psychotherapy; demonstrated competencies with crisis intervention; and demonstrated commitment and interest in university counseling center work and college student mental health and development.
- Completed doctorate is strongly encourages before the start date of August 1, 2014. ABD will be considered, if necessary.
- Doctorate in Clinical or Counseling Psychology
Pittsburgh is a port city in southwest Pennsylvania, at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers, which form the Ohio River. The city was settled around Fort Pitt in 1758 and developed rapidly with the discovery of iron deposits and one of the world’s richest coalfields. The city features 151 high-rise buildings, 446 bridges, two inclined railways, and a pre-revolutionary fortification. Pittsburgh is known as "the City of Bridges" and "the Steel City" for its many bridges and former steel manufacturing base.
It has also been referred to as “a city of immigrants” and is known for its cultural diversity within its various neighborhoods. People of Italian, Irish, Polish, Chinese, and Indian-heritage backgrounds (among countless others) comprise a significant proportion of the city’s 330,000+ population. The city is also racially-diverse, with 27% of people identifying as African-American and another 3% identifying as Asian.
Major publications often note Pittsburgh’s high livability compared to other American cities, with the city claiming the top overall spot in the United States in recent "most livable city" lists by Places Rated Almanac (2007), Forbes (2010), and The Economist (2011).
Required Application Materials
Only completed applications will be given full consideration and applicants are responsible for insuring receipt of all required application materials. Application materials may be submitted by mail or electronically (as e-mail attachments). Applications must include: • Letter of introduction detailing interest in the position, progress toward completing the doctoral degree, and interest in university counseling center practice; • Vita; • Names of three references, with at least one being a current or former supervisor
Review of applications will begin on January 17, 2014 and continue until positions are filled.
August 1, 2014
Send Applications To:
Kym Jordan Simmons, Ph.D., Director of Training
Wellness Center, 119 University Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
This listing expires on: