|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Director of Counseling
City College of New York
The Counseling Center
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Directs a college counseling center, integrating counseling services into a comprehensive student development experience.
- Manages a counseling center providing a variety of services such as individual and group counseling, crisis intervention, workshops, classroom instruction, and academic intervention
- Supervises and develops counseling faculty and staff
- Develops department budget and manages fiscal affairs
- Directs planning, evaluation, assessment and marketing of counseling services
- Interfaces with academic departments, other College offices, and student groups to assess program needs and develop appropriate responses
- Participates in inter-divisional programs to increase student success and retention
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Job Title Name: Student Counseling Director
Higher Education Officer
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the Executive Director of Student Support Resources, the Director of Counseling will provide management of the Counseling Center. In line with City College’s vision of access to excellence, it is the mission of the Counseling Center to provide high quality counseling services that are accessible to all City College students, with efforts toward removing any barriers to students’ academic success.
The Director is primarily responsible for ensuring the excellence and quality of such counseling services while also ensuring the facilitation of appropriate referrals to community agencies and practitioners for ongoing services to our student body. The Director oversees outreach events to educate the CCNY community on issues related to mental health and academic success and to increase accessibility and awareness of counseling services. The Director will assist in the oversight and evaluation of systems that exist within Counseling and recommend innovative programming to the Executive Director of Student Support Resources to best serve CCNY’s students.
In addition to the duties above this position will:
- Direct the Counseling Center, which provides a variety of services such as individual and group counseling, therapeutic case management, crisis intervention, campus wide workshops, outreach events, and training programs in mental health.
- Introduce and develop innovative and empirically based practices consistent with effective counseling for a diverse student population.
- Provide supervision to and work collaboratively with counseling staff, College Assistants, and trainees to ensure the highest quality services to the student body.
- Direct planning, evaluation, and marketing of counseling services, including the development and maintenance of informational materials for the campus community.
- Recruit, interview, select, and train a diverse staff.
- Interface with academic departments, other College offices and student groups to assess program needs and develop appropriate responses, and work collaboratively with such groups to increase student success and retention.
- Provide oversight of numerous training programs in mental health at various levels of education (undergraduate peer programs, Master’s level mental health and social work programs, doctorate level psychology externships) including recruitment, selection, and training.
- Oversee the development of department budget and management of fiscal affairs.
- Oversight of the Emergency Grant/Loan Program.
- Serve as member of related College Wide Committees and CUNY Advisory Council.
- Establish and maintain quality relationships with providers and organizations in the community to ensure continuation of care to students in need of higher levels of support including long-term counseling.
Bachelor’s degree and eight years’ related experience required.
The ideal candidate will possess a Doctoral degree in a relevant discipline. Eight years of progressive experience supervising mental health care providers, developing clinical training programs, and an outstanding record of accomplishment is preferred.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- NYS clinical license to practice relevant discipline of mental health (psychology, counseling)
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in student counseling centers and advanced training in conducting brief psychotherapy
- The ability to create and implement "cutting edge" progressive initiatives
- The ability to interview, select, train, supervise, and evaluate a diverse staff
- Skills to maintain a fair and decisive leadership style with the ability to make independent judgments
- The ability to schedule, assign, delegate, monitor, and evaluate the work of assigned staff
For more information about The City College of New York, see our web site at: www.ccny.cuny.edu
Required Application Materials
Please apply as follows: - Go to www.cuny.edu and click on "Employment" - Click "Search job listings" PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD A COVER LETTER AND RESUME AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format. - Click on "More search options" - Search by Job Opening ID number - Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
Open until filled with the review of applications to begin 12/26/13.
Send Applications To:
This listing expires on: