|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Health Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship
University of South Florida
The University of South Florida Counseling Center (Tampa, FL) invites applications for two 12-month, full-time Postdoctoral Health Psychology Fellowship positions for the 2014-2015 academic year. The anticipated start date is August 1, 2014 and will extend through July 31, 2015. The position has been designed to meet the requirements for licensure in the State of Florida.
The Counseling Center is a critical component of the Division of Student Affairs and strives to support the mental health and wellbeing of the student body. Through the provision of high quality clinical services and best-practice, innovative outreach, consultation, and education, the Counseling Center is recognized and valued for its contribution to student success. These contributions have been optimized for the past three years by postdoctoral fellows, who provide behavioral health consultation services, as part of a multidisciplinary healthcare team (ARNPs, MDs, Dietician, Athletic Trainer), at USF Student Health Services (SHS). The Counseling Center has a staff of 24 professionals including psychiatrists, psychologists, and social workers, and is accredited by IACS and has an APA- accredited pre-doctoral internship.
Responsibilities: The fellowship is divided into three rotations. During the first two rotations, fellows spend approximately half of their time at the Counseling Center, and the other half of their time at SHS, which employs 17 health care providers from various disciplines. During their third and final rotation, fellows will continue developing their skills as behavioral health consultants in a more specialized environment (e.g., Tampa General Hospital or the James Haley Veterans Administration Hospital) for 16 hours per week.
In order to develop competence in areas identified by APA as essential for psychology practice in primary care settings, clinical responsibilities at SHS will include:
• Providing mental health assessments and using evidence-based, short-term behavioral health interventions, consistent with the primary care behavioral health model of integrated care
• Consulting with primary care providers to facilitate team-based management of behavioral health concerns, including chronic illnesses
• Offering immediate assistance, including lethality assessments, to SHS providers who are treating patients with mental health crises
• Referring, as necessary, to the Counseling Center or the larger Tampa community for specialty mental health care
• Facilitating a disease management group relevant to a college population (e.g., managing chronic illness at college)
• Educating SHS staff about behavioral health topics
• Developing specific areas of expertise that are of interest
Clinical responsibilities in the Counseling Center will include:
• Conducting initial consultations and counseling consultation evaluations intakes
• Providing individual counseling, and if interested, couples and group counseling
• Contributing to the Center’s crisis response services
• Participating in the on-call clinician rotation
• Developing and presenting psycho-educational programs
• Participating in outreach, consultation and liaison services
• Collaborating with psychiatrists and case managers
Postdoctoral fellows will receive up to 3 hours of supervision (1 hour of individual, 2 hours group) weekly throughout the fellowship. Additional specialty supervision may be available to fellows at the external placement sites during the third rotation. Fellows will additionally participate in weekly staff and clinical meetings at the Counseling Center, monthly staff meetings and medical lectures at SHS, and a weekly joint didactic clinical seminar with fellows from Tampa General Hospital.
The successful candidate must have a doctorate in Counseling Psychology or Clinical Psychology from an APA-accredited program and a successfully completed doctoral internship in an APA-accredited internship program.
The preferred candidate will have experience in a health care setting such as a hospital, medical clinic, veteran’s hospital or mental health center. Additional experience in a college/university counseling center is strongly preferred. Experience with health psychchology, eating disorders, and mood disorders in an interdisciplinary environment is preferred.
In addition, the ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
• Demonstrated ability to conduct brief psychotherapy and crisis assessment and intervention with a variety of mental health issues and client populations
• Demonstrated skills in consultation and liaison with a variety of physical and mental health professionals
• Demonstrated clinical experience in treating individuals with medical and mental health issues
• Demonstrated skills in providing outreach and psycho-educational services
• Knowledge of developmental issues in University populations
• Knowledge of applicable laws and ethics pertaining to mental health
• Demonstrated multicultural competence
• Demonstrated ability to work as a team member in an interdisciplinary environment
The University of South Florida is a high-impact, global research university located in beautiful Tampa Bay on Florida’s spectacular west coast. It is one of the largest public universities in the nation, and among the top 50 universities, public or private, for federal research expenditures. The university is one of only four Florida public universities classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching in the top tier of research universities, a distinction attained by only 2.3 percent of all universities.
At the heart of USF is a vibrant, diverse and engaged student body. More than 47,000 students are enrolled in the USF System, a system of three separately accredited institutions – USF Tampa, USF St. Petersburg and USF Sarasota-Manatee – with an annual budget of $1.5 billion and an annual economic impact of $3.7 billion. The university’s main Tampa campus is home to USF Health, including the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Public Health and Pharmacy.
With over 230 degree programs at the undergraduate, graduate, specialty and doctoral levels, including the doctor of medicine, there’s something for everyone at USF. The university offers a dynamic learning environment that inspires innovation, creativity and collaboration and is focused on student success. More than 2,000 distinguished scholars, researchers and expert teachers, nearly all holding PhDs or the highest degrees in their fields, make up the USF faculty – including the 2012 U.S. Professor of the Year.
USF is a member of the American Athletic Conference, with 17 men’s and women’s varsity teams competing at the NCAA-level. New facilities for practice and competition, along with a completely renovated USF Sun Dome, put the university’s athletic facilities on par with virtually every top program in the country. For more information about USF please visit: http://www.usf.edu/
With more than 16,000 employees in the USF System, the University of South Florida is one of the largest employers in the Tampa Bay region. At USF you will find opportunities to excel in a rich academic environment that fosters the development and advancement of our employees. We believe in creating a talented, engaged and driven workforce through on-going development and career opportunities. We also offer a first class benefit package that includes medical, dental and life insurance plans, retirement plan options, tuition program and generous leave programs and more.
Required Application Materials
To apply please follow the link: https://employment.usf.edu. Search for the position and Click on the Apply Now button. When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume. Apply online by completing the required information and attaching your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. YOUR STATEMENT OF INTEREST, CURRICULUM VITA, ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPT, AND THREE LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION, PLUS ANY OTHER REQUESTED MATERIAL, MUST BE IN ONE ATTACHMENT. Only online applications are accepted for this position. Skype interviews will be offered to preferred candidates in January 2014, and offers will be made in February 2014. The selected candidate will be subject to a Level 2 Background Check. For further information about the fellowship, please browse the Counseling Center’s website (http://usfweb2.usf.edu/counsel/), and/or contact the Postdoctoral Fellowship Training Coordinator, Dr. Lisa Ferdinand, at email@example.com or at 813-974-9303.
Initial review of applications will begin upon receipt of application and will continue until the position is filled. However applications received before December 28th, 2013 will be given priority.
August 1, 2014
Send Applications To:
This listing expires on: