|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Counseling Center Social Worker
University of Michigan-Flint
Counseling, Accessibility and Psychological Services
40,000 - 44,000
We are seeking candidates for the position of Counseling Center Social Worker with demonstrated interest and experience as a generalist and some background in disabilities services. This staff member will provide time-limited individual, couples, and group counseling, assessment and referral services, crisis intervention, consultation, and support services. Outreach programming focused on developmental issues and prevention is included in the position. This person may also initiate involuntary examination procedures as allowed by law. This position also involves conducting interactive interviews with students registered with disability services to identify and implement accommodations in compliance with the Vocational and Rehabilitation Act, Section 504 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across cultures and with clinical and non-clinical colleagues, campus departments, and student groups. Continuing education and professional development activities are expected. We are engaged in an ongoing effort to build a multiculturally competent staff capable of serving the needs of a diverse student body.
Specific duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
1. Providing time-limited counseling and psychotherapy for individuals and couples
2. Providing innovative outreach to the campus community by leading workshops, addressing classes and developing programming that addresses the needs of the general student population as well as the needs of international, non-traditional, and underserved populations
3. Participating in psychological emergency and crisis intervention
4. Providing after-hours availability to respond to student mental health emergencies when on-call
5. Experience and interest in assessment, treatment, prevention and education in substance abuse
6. Providing group counseling and psychotherapy through a general therapy group or a group that addresses a specific clinical issue or the needs of a particular group of students
7. Conducts interactive interviews with students to review and assess disability documentation. Determines appropriate classroom, academic, and campus accommodations.
8. Provides assistance in coordinating support and services for students with disabilities to ensure compliance with the Vocational and Rehabilitation Act, Section 504 and the American with Disabilities Act.
9. Providing referrals to other professionals and outside agencies
10. Participating in various Student Affairs/University activities and committees
11. Attend appropriate local, regional, and national meetings and conferences for professional development and to represent CAPS, the Division of Student Affairs, and the University of Michigan – Flint.
12. Other duties as assigned
• Must be licensed as a clinical social worker.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and great interpersonal skills are a must.
• Ability to relate effectively with students, colleagues, faculty, staff, and administrators is essential.
• Candidate must also be able to work collaboratively on a team of multidisciplinary professionals.
Preference given to candidates who have 3+ years previous experience working in a university counseling center.
Since 1956, the University of Michigan-Flint has embraced the importance of "doing" as fundamental to each student’s personal, professional, and academic growth. As part of the world-renowned University of Michigan system, we too are committed to the development of the next generation of "Leaders and Best".
At U of M-Flint, the best leaders engage issues head-on, explore varying points of view, seek input from others and become as familiar with realities as they do theories.
UM-Flint faculty from over 100 areas of study pour their expertise and creativity into the development of research and service-learning projects that match course curriculum needs, and fulfill students’ desires to contribute to "something bigger than themselves."
Action-oriented academics is at the heart of the University of Michigan-Flint experience--and why our graduates are so highly sought by employers looking for leaders who know how to get things done.
Required Application Materials
Candidates must submit a Statement of Interest, a CV and the contact information for three (3) professional and two (2) personal references. A criminal background check will be conducted
The search will remain open until the position is filled. The review process will begin and preference will be given to applicants that submit their material by October 18, 2013.
Send Applications To:
Please apply online at www.umjobs.org for posting #87022
This listing expires on: