|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Director of Counseling Services
to be negotiated
Colby College seeks an experienced, innovative and collaborative mental health leader to serve as the Director of Counseling Services. This is a full-time, 11 month position. The Director provides leadership, vision, and strategic direction of mental health services and education on campus. Reporting to the Vice President for Student Affairs/Dean of Students, the Director of Counseling Services serves on the student affairs management team, playing a role in the ongoing development and implementation of the College’s strategic plan for student life: Colby 360.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director is responsible for managing the delivery of all mental health services provided by Counseling Services, including confidential individual and group counseling; crisis intervention services; coordination of 24-hour on-call coverage during the academic year; training for students, faculty, and staff regarding students’ developmental and mental health needs; educational programs, workshops, presentations, and community outreach; and consultation to faculty, staff, parents and external health providers regarding care of student. The Director provides supervision and oversight for two Licensed Clinical Counselors and a Clinical Psychologist, manages the departmental budget, and works collaboratively with the College Health Services and Dean of Students Office on strategic planning and policy development related to student health issues. The Director of Counseling Services advises College officials, faculty, and colleagues on situations and policies related to mental health issues. Additional duties may be assigned.
Success in this position requires a visionary mental health leader who can effectively balance the growing demand for mental health services for the College age population as well as campus outreach and education to students and members of the College community. Experience with and vision for the interrelatedness of counseling and health service and a demonstrated understanding of the nature of a small residential college is important.
• Master’s degree in Counseling/Psychology/Social Work field required; Doctorate (Ph.D. or Psy.D.) strongly preferred.
• Must be a licensed (or license eligible) therapist in Maine.
• Minimum of five years experience counseling in a college or school setting required.
• At least five years progressively responsible, relevant experience and a significant expertise in current and emerging college-age mental health issues.
• A demonstrated ability to work effectively with college-age populations, international students, underrepresented groups, parents, faculty, and college administrators strongly preferred.
• Experience and expertise in areas of mental health pertinent to college students including, body image/eating disorders, anxiety/stress/performance related issues, diversity, and depression and mood disorders. Experience in responding to crisis situations.
• Collaboration and team-building skills are essential.
• Ability to maintain effective, trusting working relationships.
Founded in 1813, Colby College in Waterville, Maine, is one of the nation’s oldest and best independent liberal arts colleges, enrolling approximately 1,825 students. Colby is a national leader in research and project-based undergraduate learning, and the depth of student-faculty interaction and collaboration is unparalleled. Colby embraces and honors a 200 year tradition of fostering intellectual and personal growth with graduates emerging as conscientious, committed, courageous and inspired leaders ready to make a profound impact on their world. Colby is a national leader in environmental sustainability and education with award-winning campus greening initiatives and academic program. Colby invites applications for the position of:
Colby College is located in Waterville, Maine. The surrounding area allows for 4 season recreational activities with easy access to mountains and the coast.
Required Application Materials
Interested candidates should electronically submit a letter of interest, resume and the names and contact information of three professional references to HR@Colby.edu and addressed to: Director of Counseling Services - Search Committee Human Resources Colby College 5500 Mayflower Hill Waterville, ME 04901-8855
A review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
August 1, 2013
Send Applications To:
Directo of Counseling Services - Search Committee
Human Resources, Colby College, 5500 Mayflower Hill
Waterville, ME 04901
This listing expires on: