|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Psychologist or Senior Counselor
Grand Valley State University
The Counseling and Career Development Center
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience
Responsibilities – Essential Functions
• Provide culturally-sensitive counseling over a broad range of career development, academic, and personal concerns. Position functions include:
a) Career testing and integration of test results into one’s career plan
b) Exploration of career interests, passions, values, and abilities in working with students to find concrete ways to utilize their strengths
c) Integration of psychological, social, or other difficulties that interfere with a student’s academic and personal success
d) Instructor for career exploration class
• This position has a career emphasis, but also includes an active personal counseling caseload, including:
a) Provision of group and individual counseling
b) Crisis intervention management; including afterhours on-call coverage for the on-campus population
c) Contribution to the training associated with the Counseling and Career Development Center’s APA accredited doctoral training program and possible supervision of practicum/intern trainees
• Provide consultation and outreach activities to the University community with a special focus on career development
• Collaborate with other departments related to student success
• Participate in Student Services activities pertinent to student well-being, including serving on University committees
• Participate in national/regional professional organizations and activities
• Other responsibilities as assigned by the Director
• Doctorate in Counseling Psychology, Clinical Psychology, Counselor Education, or related field completed by start date of the job
• Eligibility for licensure as a Psychologist or counselor in Michigan (to be licensed within 2 years)
• Background in career theory coursework and/or working with career clients
• Clinical experience with a university population or equivalent
• Experience and interest in providing career and personal psychoeducational outreach
• For psychology candidates, APA accredited doctoral program and doctoral internship Experience providing service to diverse student populations (e.g., students of color, LGBT students, international students, veterans, and students with disabilities) in a university counseling center
• Experience or interest in providing clinical supervision and training to graduate students
Grand Valley State University’s main campus is located in a rural area about 12 miles from metropolitan Grand Rapids. This campus is only minutes away from beautiful Lake Michigan beaches. The 1,237-acre campus includes both rolling hills to the west and deeply wooded ravines to the east. Winding walkways between buildings connect with a series of natural trails along the riverbank. In addition to the main campus, Grand Valley also has campuses in downtown Grand Rapids and Holland, Michigan.
Established in 1960, Grand Valley State University is a relatively new university. Committed to excellence, Grand Valley offers students personalized attention through relatively small classes and excellent student services. GVSU attracts above-average students and has an enrollment over 24,000. We have been the fastest growing university in Michigan.
The Grand Rapids metropolitan area, cited in Newsweek as the fifth "most moved-into city" in the U.S., is noted for its attractive quality of life. The surrounding area offers a choice of urban, suburban, or country living. The region is well known for its beautiful lakes, parks, forests, and streams which provide a variety of recreational opportunities for all seasons. Grand Rapids has a first-rate regional symphony orchestra, ballet, theatre, art galleries, and a number of ethnic festivals. The vast cultural opportunities of Chicago, Ann Arbor, and Detroit are only a few hours away. Staff and faculty live in a wide range of surrounding communities. Those along the coast of Lake Michigan, such as Muskegon, Grand Haven, and Holland feature marinas, parks, miles of sandy beaches, annual festivals, and resort attractions. These communities along with those in the Greater Grand Rapids area and Rockford provide a wide array of living options.
Required Application Materials
Apply online at www.gvsujobs.org. Required application materials include: (a) letter of application addressing interest and qualifications,(b)vitae,(c)graduate transcripts,and (d)a list of three references.
Review of applications will begin February 11th, 2013, but applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
August 5, 2013
Send Applications To:
Apply online at http://www.gvsujobs.org
Allendale, MI 49401
This listing expires on: