|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Temporary Counselor Position (Full-time preferred, Part-time possible)
San José State University
Under the general supervision of the Director of Counseling Services, the selected candidate is expected to provide a full range of clinical services, including short-term individual and couples counseling for students, risk assessment and triage, and case management; provide referrals and consultation for faculty, staff, parents, administrators, and university community members regarding issues that affect the educational, developmental, and psychological well-being of students; and, work collaboratively with other Counseling Services personnel. May also provide group counseling and outreach services.
• Licensed in the state of California as a Psychologist, MFT, or LCSW.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in counseling with a variety of racial/ethnic groups and diversities including socioeconomic status, multi-racial identity, gender, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, disabilities, religion, etc.
• Demonstrated effective clinical services with individuals, couples and groups;
• Clinical experience in using a brief therapy model;
• Strong crisis management skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Previous experience providing personal counseling services in a diverse college or university setting;
• Comprehensive understanding of and skilled in providing counseling for ethnically diverse cultures, especially Latino cultures;
• Experience in providing counseling for mental health issues such as substance use, eating disorders and body image, LGBTQ and gender identity, autistic spectrum;
San José State University is California’s oldest institution of public higher learning. The campus is located on the southern end of San Francisco Bay in downtown San José (Pop. 1,023,083), hub of the world-famous Silicon Valley high-technology research and development center. Many of California’s most popular national, recreational, and cultural attractions are conveniently close. A member of the 23-campus CSU system, San José State University enrolls over 30,000 students, a significant percentage of whom are members of minority groups and first-generation college students. San José State University’s latest enrollment census shows that ethnically we have a student population that is approximately 32% Asian American, 21% Hispanic, 27% White, 4% African American, 7% Foreign Nationals. The mean age of undergraduate students at SJSU is 23. The University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty so our disciplines, students and the community can benefit from multiple ethnic and gender perspectives.
Required Application Materials
Open until filled. Submit 1) current vitae; 2) names, addresses, and telephone numbers of five professional references (no one will be contacted without your explicit permission); and 3) a letter of interest that includes a brief statement explaining your approach in providing services to a diverse student population.
Open until filled.
Send Applications To:
Counseling Services Temporary Counselor Search Committee
Adm 201-0035 San José State University One Washington Square
San José, CA 95192-0035
This listing expires on: