|Positions in Counseling Centers|
Temporary Counselor (Full-time preferred, Part-time possible)
San José State University
Under the general supervision of the Director of Counseling Services, the selected candidate is expected to provide a full range of clinical services, including short-term individual and couples counseling for students, risk assessment and triage, and case management; provide referrals and consultation for faculty, staff, parents, administrators, and university community members regarding issues that affect the educational, developmental, and psychological well-being of students; and, work collaboratively with other Counseling Services personnel. May also provide group counseling and outreach services.
• Demonstrated effectiveness in counseling with a variety of racial/ethnic groups and diversities including socioeconomic status, multi-racial identity, gender, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, disabilities, religion, etc.
• Demonstrated effective clinical experience with individuals, couples and groups;
• Clinical experience in using a brief therapy model;
• Strong crisis management skills;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Licensed in the state of California as a Psychologist, MFT, or LCSW.
• Previous experience providing personal counseling services in a diverse college or university setting;
• Comprehensive understanding of and skilled in providing counseling for ethnically diverse cultures, especially Latino cultures;
• Experience in providing counseling for mental health issues such as substance use, eating disorders and body image, LGBTQ and gender identity, autistic spectrum;
Located on 154 acres in downtown San Jose, SJSU offers its 30,000 students more than 130 bachelor’s and master’s degrees with 110 concentrations in seven colleges, including many highly ranked and nationally recognized programs. Quality teaching and small classes are a priority at SJSU, where tenured professors teach introductory as well as advanced courses. San Jose was recently ranked the #1 college destination among mid-sized metro areas. To learn more about SJSU, please visit this website: http://www.sjsu.edu/about_sjsu/
For information about San Jose and the bay area, please visit: http://www.sanjose.org/about-san-jose
Required Application Materials
Submit 1) current vitae; 2) three current letters of reference (no one will be contacted without your explicit permission); and 3) a letter of interest that includes a brief statement explaining your approach in providing services to a diverse student population. We recognize that this is a request not answered easily in a brief statement, but we would like this additional information (preferably no more than one page) in order to better understand your experience, skills, knowledge, and abilities.
Open until filled.
Send Applications To:
Counseling Services Temporary Counselor Search Committee
Counseling Services Adm 201-0035 San José State University One Washington Square
San José, California 95192-0035
This listing expires on: